Since July my laptop has been acting funny, telling me I need to use a Dell AC adapter - which I was using! This is a common problem with my Dell model. And when it starts to go the road is downhill only. I was hoping to limp along until the summer when I will be home and can go computer shopping. But this was not to be. The AC adapter failed two weeks ago and the battery is totally discharged. The bottom line: I was without a computer.
My world is very computer dependent - making lessons and handouts for class, participating in my online course from Oxford, intereacting with my students at my online school, and communicating in general. I made a rash planned out decision. That is an oxymoron but here is what it means. I have been investigating computers for six months so I know what I am looking for. I have toyed with buying a netbook and a notebook based on the amount of times I need to take my computer to school. So I went ont to Amazon.de and bought an Asus netbook, looking carefully at the pictures and making some assumptions about Microsoft XP.
The computer came quickly and unlike the pictures on the net, the keyboard is German! And the operating system is in German! I have had the comptuer in the "hospital" with the school's computer guys trying to clone an English OS since the German version will not switch over to English. This has all been to no avail. I have figured out how to make my programs and kepboard speak English but the desktop and internet are still in German. I am learning new German words and finding out how good my memory is as I have to guess sometimes what buttons mean. The netbook isn't the best solution but it was a decently priced stop gap measure.
If you've never seen a netbook here's a picture of mine with a regular sized coffee mug beside it for comparison.
