Monday, April 12, 2010

WWII Adventure 2: Lord Woolton's Pie

Lord Woolton was the minster of food in Britain during World War II.  He was a shrewd business man who was good at persuading people to follow the new ideas.  He had to win the people over to rationing and changing their ways of life so everyone would have enough food.  His office came up with ideas for healthy and fulfilling recipes that used rations to their upmost.  They rolled out the concept of victory gardens and the "Dig for Victory" campaign.  Other concepts from his office were ploughing up pastures to get more farmland, year round gardening, revival of the Women's Land Army, etc. 

Recipe trial #2 was a modern version of a vegatable pie.  Normally a British "pie" will be made with meat such as a steak and kidney pie.  Or as we know in American chicken pot pie.  But there was a shortage of meat so Lord Woolton encourage making a tastey vegetable pie instead.  The concept would be that you would grow all your own vegetables for it.  I had to buy mine. 

This one was an easy recipe - steam all the vegetables, pour in chicken broth, thicken it with milk and cornstarch, put on the pie crust, and bake it and wallah - dinner is served.  Their recipe called for a mashed potato topping.  I used a single pie crust since I didn't want all the starch from the potatoes. 

Along with this I did my 3rd attempt at the wholemeal bread. I increased the honey, decreased the salt again, and put in a bit of sugar (which was rationed so that is a no-no in the historical accuracy of this project).  The taste was perfect but the loaves didn't rise again.

No pictures this time since all we could see is the top of the pie crust.