We are nearing the end of another year. One end of the year traditions is the tea hosted by the home students' mothers. It is meant to be a mother-daughter tea but this gets tricky when the majority of the senior girls are dorm students whose moms can't get into town for the event. To eleviate this problem, the organizers asked the senior girls to invite a woman who has made an impact on their life while at BFA. Kimmie (which is a nickname using her last name, Kim) came to me one day and shyly asked if I would go in place of her mom since I have known her since she came to BFA in grade 7. Back then she didn't speak much English and was a scared little thing. She has grown a lot in her time here.
I spent Saturday in bed sick and woke up Sunday still feeling a bit shaky. But I went to the tea because I promised Kimmie I would be there for her. I am glad I went and spent the time with her. She lives at Storch - the only dorm that invited me for dinner this year. I have enjoyed my Storch girls this year and I sat with 3 of them during the tea and had a good time laughing and talking about their futures.
Three of the Storch girls: Kimmie, Esther and Jae
Kimmie - who's off to London next year to study fashion design.
Rachel, who's in my AP English class
