I went grocery shopping after work since my cupboards are pretty bare. I decided to try a quinoa recipe for supper. So far I have only used it in salad and as a rice substitute. I did some research last night for quinoa recipes and found this chili recpe that looked simple. I ended up pulling a "mom" and added carrots, celery, green pepper, flax, salt and pepper to the recipe. It just looked too boring with only the original ingredients. It had better be good since it makes a LOT for one person. One thing I learned last night while researching is that quinoa acts as a thickener so the amount of quinoa that goes into the recipe depends on how runny you want your chili.
I will update this post later to give my review.
Quinoa Chilli
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. chilli powder
796 ml canned tomatoes, broken up
1 can tomato sauce or soup
1 can kidney beans
1 lb hamburger
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 - 1 cup NorQuin Quinoa (depending on desired consistency)
1. Fry onion in a pan and brown hamburger
2. To browned hamburger add chilli powder, garlic powder and, if desired, other spices of your choice (cayenne pepper, etc.).
3. Mix in tomato sauce and canned tomatoes. Add kidney beans and simmer for 15 minutes. Add uncooked Quinoa to chilli and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes
REVIEW: I would make this again. Except, it is too bland so it needs more of all the spices. And it isn't spicy hot (which is fine with me) - this might bother some chili eaters. I can freeze 2-3 meals out of it and then have chili for a couple of meals this week.
