Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tucking in the Garden

My beans have barely produced now for a week and a half so the time has come to put the garden to bed for the winter. I did one final picking today and then I pulled up all the beans and threw them on the compost pile.

They made an impressive pile! Then I pulled the final ears of corn and pulled up the corn stalks as well. I have 2 more pumpkins left and I hope they will grow a bit more before the first frost. I will need to go back over next weekend to hoe up the garden but I ran out of energy today. I worked for about an hour - pulling and pruning vines around the garden. I have had to do minor surgery on several blackberry thorns that went through my gloves. I still have tomatoes - they are finally starting to turn red so I'll keep an eye on them.