Saturday, December 5, 2009

Mary Poppins - German Style

On Friday I had to run home from school to let in the chimney sweep, which is still a very busy trade in Germany. I had always thought these were gone with the days of Mary Poppins. Our sweep comes 2 times a year to keep our furnace working smoothly and economically. He was supposed to come between 2 and 4 so I hurried home after my 4th period class to find he was already at the house. When I walked into the foyer his equipment was on the landing as he was working in the basement.

Before he went up into the attic via my apartment, I took his picture because no one in North America would believe me if I said the chimney sweep had come to call. In Germany the sweep is actually one of the several good luck charms that are focused on in the New Year. So technically it is good luck that the sweep came to call - if you're superstitious!