Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year's Eve

2 days before New Year's Eve the stores roll our their fireworks. Many of the legal fireworks here look like small sticks of dynamite! Germans ring in the New Year with fireworks. Some of the BFA guys (young and old alike!! This is definitely a tradition that appeals to the little boy in them all!) had it planned so they could hit all the stores at their differing opening hours to get the first pick of the explosives. I am too much of a tightwad to spend money on something that will last a few seconds and be gone. And to be honest I am scared of the power of the fireworks. So I am an observer on New Year's rather than a participant.

I spent New Year's Eve with Gail and Cathy, who was visiting on her way to her new school. We had a snack like dinner, played cards, and watched a movie. I was home before midnight. But even at 10 when I drove home, things were already starting to heat up. When midnight came, the church bells went wild and the fireworks starting popping. With a 3rd floor apartment, I had a great view of the whole town's celebration.


So Happy New Year and may God bless you in 2010.