Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas Banquet

Trying to find a free weekend to do a school event can be a challenge. Basketball tryouts are done and the first game is approaching. But Christmas is also approaching which means a school formal. Many years ago the decision was made to move the Christmas banquet to the only free weekend before basketball games start so that there wouldn't be a conflict of interest for the kids. So last night, Nov. 28, we had our Christmas Formal. Which is actually apropos because today, Nov. 29 is the first first Sunday of Advent which is the start of the German Christmas season. But it is still a bit weird to be doing Christmas things so early. This evening gives the kids a chance to dress up and practice their etiquette and to "date" which can be very difficult to do at a boarding school in a small farming village!

I haven't actually gone to Christmas banquet in 6-7 years. I have always been in the kitchen helping with running the banquet. This year was not exception. I didn't get to see much of the actual banquet because things were a bit wild in the back at times. One part of the job that I usually dread is supervising the eighth graders who serve the meal. They can be a bit challenging for us high school teachers as they ask the same question over and over again, wander off when they are supposed to be working, throw things away they are supposed to keep, etc. Serving at banquet is one of the most cherished jobs of the eighth grade year. This year we have 28 grade 8s and only 10 are needed to serve. Their names were thrown into a hat and a random draw was done to see who would work. For such a random process, the selection was amazing. They were the best crew I have ever worked with.


We had fun with this great gang - unfortunately their hats block out half the group. They had to wear their hats and ties all night. They worked hard as they had to serve 3 courses and manage the drinks on their tables.

After the banquet, when were cleaning up, I had a moment of artistic inspiration when I saw these shoes and flowers just tossed on the floor.


After cleaning the kitchen and helping tear down the decorations, I was in bed at midnight - still wound up for a night of being on my feet. It was fun and now Christmas is officially open in Kandern.