Saturday, October 17, 2009

30 Minute Minestrone

Fall has officially hit in Kandern and we are breaking out our winter coats and waiting for our landlords to turn on the heat in our houses. So with the cold and drizzly day waiting for me when I woke up this morning, I decided it was a soup sort of day. I started out to make vegetable soup which would mean buying meat. Half way to the store I remember I have a great minestrone recipe. So I rounded up the ingredients and came home to stir it all together.

Ingredients
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped cabbage
  • 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1-2 small zucchinis chopped in chunks
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
  • 1 can of kidney beans
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 3 cubes beef bouillon
  • 1 cup torn fresh spinach
  • 2/3 cup cooked elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

  1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute carrots, cabbage, celery, onion, zucchini and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Add water, tomatoes, beans and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  2. Add salt and garlic powder to taste if needed – be careful though because the bouillon will already be salty.
  3. Stir in spinach, macaroni and pepper; heat through.

I would suggest that you put the pasta on the table and let everyone put in what they want. If you stir it in and then have leftovers the pasta soaks up all the moisture and makes a gloopy mess. For the leftovers heat up the soup and add warmed pasta right before you serve it.

This is a great cheap but tasty meal. I eat a couple meals out of it and then freeze the rest for later.