Friday, June 26, 2009

The Efficiency of Tools

My job at school today was to weed the sidewalks. In Germany almost all sidewalks are brick which leaves a lot of room for weeds to grow up through the sidewalk and make the area look unkempt. The administration likes to see the campus looking well groomed. Last year during staff conference a team of 15-20 people was put on weeding. It was a hot and dry day so the task was difficult. We didn't have gloves or the proper tools to do a good job. I haven't been able to help much with the school's landscaping but I do understand weeds.

I stopped at the hardware store this morning because the Germans have a special tool to use to pull the weeds up. It works better than a butter knife which is what we used last year!


Though a bit unladylike in posture, I set to work weeding some of the patios and sidewalks. I worked for 3.5 hours in the sun and at noon called it quits. I might have trouble standing up tomorrow! By the end my garden gloves were beginning to get holes in the fingers so I am glad I had them or my fingers would be really sore.

Using the right tool made the job go faster. I covered the bottom of a wheelbarrow. It is raining right now so maybe tomorrow I can go do a bit more before the ground dries out again.

A second tool I used efficiently today was my camera. Something is eating my beans from the top. It isn't slugs because they eat from the bottom up. I know from my experiences at home that Dad dusts the beans when we tell him there are holes in them. How do you ask for insect dust in German? In the past I would have had to shoot in the dark and then just accept what they gave me. I went to the garden and took this picture and a couple more. When I got to the builder's market I went straight to the garden center and said in Germany "I have a problem with my beans. I have a picture." A couple guys gathered around my camera and after a consultation, they got me the powder that I need. I find it interesting that it was in a locked display case. I wonder if it is in the States? I think the store has all the poisonous things in locked cases. They are very Green here and actually would rather see people use natural pest deterrents rather than poison. So besides giving me pictures to post on this blog, my camera has helped me keep my garden healthy.