Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fronleichnam – Corpus Christi

The Spring and early summer in Germany is smattered with religious holidays that fall on Thursdays. Today was Fronleichnam, or Corpus Christi, which means everything, except a few restaurants, is closed. It turned out sunny so I decided to spend my "holiday" hiking. I did an hour loop from Kandern to Sitzenkirch where our elementary school is.

This bird caught my eye and I tried to get a clear shot. After doing some research when I got home I learned that it is called a European Goldfinch.

Here is a picture of a European Goldfinch from a field book.

And I am jealous of this garden. I think I might have gotten my veggies in a bit late! The poles in the back are for the beans. And I have seen several gardens with the tomatoes covered - I am wondering if the amount of rain we get here makes the tomatoes rot.