Thursday, June 25, 2009

Evidence of Garden Success

Not much was happening in the office at school today so I shifted focus and headed over to the garden.

This is the garden picture from that first day. To see the progress, compare it to...

the garden on Jun. 25. You can see beans in the back left corner, corn in the lower right, and the hoed part in the middle is a transplanted pumpkin. I am slowly working on turning over the ground to even it out and to get rid of the weeds.

My tomato is getting bigger. There are now 4 tomatoes - 2 on each plant. And there are blossoms on both plants. I hope I can get some fresh tomatoes for eating. I'm not sure what kind I bought. I just looked at the pictures at the garden store.

This is the new mystery crop - it is supposed to be sunflowers planted in this plot. But I don't know what young sunflowers look like. There are several of these plants. The question now is to water or to pull?

The pumpkins are looking pretty good. After transplanting some today, I have 5 hills. I am hoping to get 3-4 cooking pumpkins to cook and freeze for soup.

And the Hoosier in me is excited to see my two short rows of corn starting to look like corn.