Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Snail Paced Quilting

A few years ago, I decided to try the challenge of making a quilt. I don't have a sewing machine so I had to do it the old fashioned way - by hand. I made a log cabin design arranged in what is called the field and the furrow pattern. My mom and I then hand quilted it over the summer while I was home. Just after that I started a 2nd quilt. I haven't made it very far because I have to be in the right kind of mood to stitch. This winter I sewed all the blocks I had done togehter to see how many more were needed to finish it. I almost have the main part of the top done. 5 more blocks will finish it. Then I need to close off the pattern with half blocks all around. I don't know how it would affect the block size if I switched to a machine now - I could go work in the school's home ec lab over the summer. At the same time though there is something satisfying in being able to say I did it all by hand.


Four blocks are needed to make one star. The block style is called the Road to Oklahoma. It fits the width of my bed but not the length. I might need to add some more to the bottom. Maybe one more row?

Here is a close up of one of the blue blocks. I have a few brown blocks and I wish now I had done only reds, blues and greens. The stars will all be different shades of blue. My mom sent me scraps from the quilt I made for her and dad and those will become parts of stars in this quilt.